If you are a writer, serious about the craft of writing, what are you going to do this new year? Here are some suggestions:
1. Read some books on writing – There is a lot of information out there written by successful authors which is very helpful whether you are just starting out or have been at this for quite a while.
2. Make plans to attend at least one writers’ conference – I am planning on attending two, plus a writers’ retreat. So much can be learned at conferences. Plus you get the opportunity to actually talk with authors, editors, publishers, and agents.
3. Join a writers’ group. If you are not already a member of a group, find one in your area. Make sure it is a critiquing group. I belong to Word Weavers of West Michigan. I have gained so much knowledge from having my writing critiqued by the group. Extra eyes reading your work find things it is so easy for the writer to overlook. (Word Weavers is a national organization)
4. Set a goal for yourself regarding your writing. Do you want to write a book? How about getting an article published? Consider entering one or more writing contests. Whatever your goal is stick to it.
5. Decide how much time each day you will devote to writing. I am finding this is a must if you want to get anything accomplished toward your writing goal.
In 2012 I wrote a daily blog which meant spending at least a half hour each day writing. Since I am already in the habit of writing daily I am going to try to keep that habit going (and possibly add more time to it as I go). I have already started. Today I wrote Chapter 2 and began Chapter 3 of my novel.
I am excited about what 2013 will bring in regards to writing. Things will not happen unless I put in the effort it takes to become a published author. This is a dream I’ve had for several years. During the year 2013 I plan on getting at least one step closer to fulfilling that dream.
What are your writing dreams? How much effort are you willing to put into it to make your dream a reality? This is the time for fresh starts. If you are serious about writing, make it a priority in 2013. HAPPY NEW WRITING YEAR!